Thursday, March 13, 2014

How Hard Are You Working?

What kind of permission do you need to be who you are? Are you seeking attention, recognition, connection from others? How hard do you work to get what you need every day? What is your energy level like?

Many people are programmed to believe that hard work is the way to achieve goals. To get ahead in life you'd better be prepared to work you a*$ off. Is that your belief? Is there a desperation or hopelessness that exists because you feel stuck in some way? What if you could just let all that go. Too easy, right?

My friends, it's only as easy or hard as you choose to make it. Truth. We have a great gift in that we have choice. Choice is one of the most simple tools, that is available to us in every second, moment, hour, day, week, month, year. What do you choose? And here's the really cool thing, you can make a different choice at any time! If something isn't working for you, release the tendency to push or force, instead, ask what other possibilities exist that maybe your sweet little self hasn't thought of...yet. Instead of banging your head against a wall, and wondering why the wall doesn't crumble in, chose to do, be, have or experience something else. Does that sound utterly ridiculous or simplistic? It is: it is ridiculous because we aren't doing this more and it is simple. Why would have it be hard?!

Look at what is working for you. It probably feels "light" and right. (Ask you body, it has information for you as well). Look at what isn't working. This will most likely feel heavy, dense, stagnant and stuck. What choice could you make today that would allow the possibility of something different to show up? And here's the really cool part, you don't have to do much past that. Just be the space for that choice to come through. Sit back, watch, maybe have a cup of tea (or your choice of beverage, and watch what happens.

I've always thought I had to come up with the answers. SO NOT TRUE. I don't have to come up with any answers, my job is to simply ask the right questions and then, get the hell out of the way (taking my brain, limitations and judgements with me!) I've had several experiences this week where I thought something was going to happen and then it didn't Instead of being disappointed (which shuts off all possibilities) I asked to see this situation as one of possibility and potential. Knowing full well that I am not in control of situations or circumstances or even other people's choices, events, and schedules helped me remember that and in any moment, I can choose to STOP fighting my head, ask "What different choice is available that I don't even know about? What am I not seeing in this situation, that I could choose to see, that would bring about an entirely different experience through?" An answer didn't appear, but here's the deal, it didn't have to. I knew it would arrive when my attention caught up with my awareness. So I went to bed.

I awakened this morning to a myriad of choices and gratitude for not keeping myself in limitation. As I was making coffee, several possibilities "popped in". It made me grateful that I remembered that I have the option to ask a question, in any situation. I previously would have felt stuck and constricted, which completely limited my choices and options. I realize now that the "stuck feeling" is a byproduct of my brain working to either figure out a solution or fighting against what "is" or feeling constricted by outside, unexpected changes and circumstances; all of which just make WORK, a lot more work for me that what is necessary and required. I could reel, spin, twist, churn, box, scream, cry, fight, or chose something else, which would relieve me from having to figure it out and that would be easy. That, my friends, is the choice I made. I released any pressure, expectations, judgements and/or limitations and just let the answer find me. How easy and freeing is that?!

I've worked so hard in the past to come up with solutions and fix things. And that was virtually impossible because I was limiting other options by relying on former reference points! There's something very liberating when we can let go of our control and self-imposed limitations and not have to come up with an immediate answer. In fact, I'm finding that it's really not a talent of mine because much of what I "think" is often misaligned. By asking  questions, being "space" for the possibilities to formulate and by-passing the need to figure things out, expansion happens effortlessly and so does relaxation.

Today isn't at all what I expected it to be, it's even better. Living life from "here" means that I don't have to know what is going on, what's going to happen, how it's going to happen, when it might happen, who it might happen with, where we'll be.......  I can just enjoy the moment, fully and completely. All of my focus, attention and awareness is showered upon the present moment and the beautiful people that choose to show up in it. I really dig not having to work so hard!








4 comments:

  1. Great post, I love reading all of your posts! I feel like I've struggled in so many different ways these past few months, struggle to find happiness in everyday occurrences, thankfully I have Wylie's companionship- transitioning to living up here is taking a lot longer than I thought. I miss mall walking, dog park walking, Target browsing, flip flops in February- Wyatt and I were constantly telling each other our relationship would get better (him being around more) but now I find that I just hang out with Wylie, whether it's in TX or in NE.."heavy, dense, stagnant, and stuck" is a very accurate way to describe my life right now. I need to get better about choosing to be positive on a day to day basis. Sorry for the novel, thank you for the writings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amanda! I appreciate your kind words! I never know who's reading and always send a little prayer that the words that come through me can be supportive for those who are drawn to the blog. The transition is not an easy one, that I know. It's difficult in so many ways and yet rewarding, in it's own kind of way. The heavy, dense, stagnant and stuck are certainly facts to work with, especially in the area you reside. It's beautiful and at times very isolated, you can't just meet down the street/park to connect with a cool Mama group. I remember feeling extremely isolated when my children were little, I longed for connections and ways to relate with adults. I limited myself in that I felt it wasn't worth spending the money/time to get a babysitter and then have to drive a ton of miles to do anything, so mostly I just stayed home. There's some of that remaining, so I do have to challenge myself, continually to look around for what I am limiting and "what's here" that I am not fully appreciating. I can't say where I'm at right now, is where I LOVE being, though I am grateful for the area and the people. I think a big component for me is shutting off of my mind and rearranging how I am looking at any given situations. I was so entrained to look at the wasn't working that I've missed a lot of what is working! The cool thing is, we can live in 10 second increments and choose something new in each of those, so we are never really trapped. Delighted that you are enjoying the writings. Thanks so much for sharing and please comment again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the ever wise words Robyn! It seems I need to reread your posts a couple or five times, so much there! I delight in reading your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most welcome my friend! Thank you so much for the comment! I'm so grateful I have a space for the words :) and even more grateful that they resonate with others.

    ReplyDelete